A former care worker who sexually abused two teenage boys at a children’s home in the 1980s has been jailed for 12 years.
Officers in the Met’s Sexual Offences, Exploitation and Child Abuse Command (SOECA) launched an investigation after two former residents at the south London home contacted police about the abuse they suffered.

The 71-year-old man from SE8, was sentenced at Croydon Crown Court on Friday, 13 January, to a total of 12 years’ imprisonment after he was convicted of two counts of buggery and four counts of indecent assault against boys aged 14 and 15.

A former resident of Orchard Lodge – a secure children’s home in Anerley – contacted police in April 2011 with allegations that he had suffered sexual abuse at the hands of one of the staff at the home during the 1980s.

Despite only being given a first name for the suspect, SOECA officers managed to identify him through staff records and interviews with other witnesses who also worked at the home at that time.

Officers received similar allegations from a second man in May 2011 that he had also been abused at the same home and officers managed to locate and arrest the man in October 2011.

In police interviews, he denied he abused any of the children in his care, but after a long and complex investigation was eventually charged in July 2015.

Following a trial in October 2016, he was found guilty of all offences, which relate to a period between 1984 and 1987. He was sentenced as above.

Detective Constable Mark Tarrant, of the Met’s Sexual Offences, Exploitation and Child Abuse Command, said: “This man abused his position of trust in a children’s care home to sexually abuse two teenage boys.

“I would like to commend the courage of the two men, now aged in their 40s, who gave evidence in court.

“Although no prison sentence can ever make up for the physical and psychological damage caused by the appalling abuse they suffered, I hope the 12 year sentence given to him gives them some form of closure.

“This case highlights that, no matter the length of time that has passed, the public should feel reassured that we will thoroughly investigate all historical sexual offences and ensure that those responsible are brought to justice.”

Anyone wanting to report non-recent sexual abuse can do so via their local police by calling 101 or in person at a local police station.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.