MAYOR OF LONDON TO BALLOT RESIDENTS ON ESTATE DEMOLITION – BUT NOT IN LAMBETH?

The Mayor of London Sadiq Khan this morning issued a consultation paper headed: “Proposed new funding condition to require resident ballots in estate regeneration”.

“The purpose of this consultation is to seek views on the Mayor’s proposed policy to mandate resident ballots for estate regeneration schemes where demolition of existing homes is proposed and where Greater London Authority (GLA) funding is sought” it says. (Paragraph 1.5 of the consultation paper).

So people living on six estates across Lambeth which Labour councillors want to demolish would finally get to have a proper say?

In a sensational twist this afternoon Lambeth council in a statement trumpeted: “Lambeth council was proud to secure the biggest amount of grant funding from the Mayor of London of any London borough, the majority of which is for projects to rebuild five estates in Lambeth.”

Meaning – in Lambeth’s eyes – people on five estates threatened with demolition – Cressingham Gardens, Fenwick, Knights Hill, South Lambeth and Westbury – will NOT get a ballot.

And Central Hill?: “The council will respond to the Mayor’s consultation on the transitional arrangements around the new funding condition to require resident ballots and will work with residents to understand the implications” says its statement.

Earlier News From Crystal Palace had asked the Mayor of London’s press office for clarification: “Does this mean where demolition of existing homes is proposed and / OR where Greater London Authority (GLA) funding is sought – or just where GLA funding is being sought please?”. (No reply received so far – Ed.)

Lambeth council’s statement says: “Three estates in Lambeth (Knight’s Walk, South Lambeth and Westbury) have had detailed planning applications submitted in December….Two further schemes in receipt of GLA funding, Fenwick and Cressingham Gardens, were approved by cabinet almost two years ago.

“The council has met all of the principles laid out by the Mayor’s guide for these five estates and the proposed new funding condition will not be applied retrospectively.”

But paragraph 4.3 of the consultation paper says: “First, the funding condition would not apply where the proposed demolitions already have full or outline planning permission. (which Lambeth don’t currently have.)

“Second, the funding condition will not be applied retrospectively, meaning that where the GLA is already in contract to fund a particular estate regeneration scheme named in a funding contract with a registered provider, ballots would not be mandated, unless the registered provider proposes to make a significant change to the scope of the scheme.”

What the consultation paper does not say if this is in full, in part or either.

(News From Crystal Palace will be trying to seek clarification of this next week – Ed.)

Further reading: Mayor is making it harder for Londoners to save their homes – Sian Berry website Dec 5, 2017

GLA MEMBER SLAMS CENTRAL HILL DEMOLITION DECISION AS “A SCANDAL” News From Crystal Palace March 29th 2017

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s