ANNIVERSARY OF LONDON BRIDGE AND BOROUGH TERROR ATTACKS TO BE MARKED

The first anniversary of the London Bridge and Borough terror attacks is to be marked this Sunday (June 3rd) with a private event at Southwark cathedral and a minute’s silence.

3pm – Service of Commemoration at Southwark cathedral. This will be a private event, for bereaved families and victims, members of the local community, the emergency services, and all those who supported the emergency response and recovery during and following the attacks. The ceremony will include the lighting of candles by family members for each of those who died and one for all who were harmed, and the planting of an olive tree in the Cathedral grounds. The ‘Tree of Healing’ will be planted using compost made from flowers left on London Bridge after the attack and will be a permanent memorial to all those affected.

4.10pm – A procession from the Cathedral to Southwark Needle, the monument at the corner of London Bridge and Duke Street Hill to join the public.

4.30pm – A national minute’s silence and speeches, followed by the laying of flowers

5pm – Close

The flowers laid at London Bridge will be left in situ for several days allowing local workers and passers-by to also pay their respects in the days following the anniversary.

The #LondonUnited ‘Book of Hope’ will be at Southwark Cathedral on Saturday 2 June and Sunday 3 June for members of the public and guests at the service to leave messages of hope and condolence. The digital book will then return to City Hall until Tuesday 19 June as part of the Mayor of London’s activity marking the anniversaries of the four terrorist attacks in London last year. This was agreed following consultation with the families who have lost loved ones, survivors, the Met police and emergency services, and the local authorities in the areas affected.

Cllr Peter John, Leader of Southwark Council, said: “The 3 June 2017 is a day that will forever be imprinted in the memories of all Southwark residents and of many other Londoners and friends from around the world whose lives tragically changed that night.

“The first anniversary is an emotional time for everyone involved, and we hope that all will find comfort and solace in the planned events, remembering those who were lost and also those who suffered both physical and psychological harm.

“But we must also be thankful for the heroism and commitment of many, many people who worked tirelessly in the hours, weeks and months that followed to support those affected, and help our borough and city to remain united in the face of such cowardice and brutality.

“I hope we can all stand together on 3 June to send a message to the world that we do not give in to terror, and evil will never win.”

The Dean of Southwark, The Very Revd Andrew Nunn, said: “The ‘Tree of Healing’ which we will plant will remain as a constant reminder to us all of those who were harmed but also of the importance of our communities coming together to stand against violence in all its forms.”

Plans for a permanent memorial are being developed and will be shared later this year.

Victim Support, British Red Cross and NHS mental teams will be providing support on the day, and for anyone who wishes to seek support there are many services available. More support information is available on the Southwark council website.  (Source: Southwark council press release)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.