A full post-event evaluation is being promised by Lambeth council following this years’s annual country show in Brockwell Park.
As News From Crystal Palace has previously reported, people visiting this year’s event are banned from taking hi-viz jackets, flags, perfume bottles and other items into the show. There will be compulsory body searching and bag searching.
In a written question for next week’s council meeting Cllr Fred Cowell (Lab. Thurlow Park) says: “Every year the Lambeth Country Show is enjoyed by thousands of residents from across Lambeth and all over London.
“For the first time this year the show has had security fencing and security searches of people entering the fair following advice from the police. “This is a significant change but in the context of greater security threats and risks of anti-social behaviour one which may need to be taken.”
Cllr Cowell asks: “Can we please get a commitment to publish a full impact assessment of the experience of putting up the fence so that the disruption to the park in set up time, damage to the ground and the effect on the park can be fully assessed?”
Responding, Cllr Sonia Winifred, Lambeth’s cabinet member for equalities, says there will be a full post-event evaluation with the whole events strategy also being reviewed in September.
She tells Cllr Cowell: “As you say, the Lambeth Country show is a beloved event enjoyed by many people every year which celebrates the very best of the city and countryside.
“The decisions to make changes to the Country Show were not taken lightly but with consultation with the police and other partners. “The new security arrangements for Lambeth Country Show are being put in place following specific police advice and intelligence, to ensure everybody remains safe and enjoys the event.
“The council’s insurer also requested additional measures in order to insure the event. “The current national terrorism threat level has also had to be taken into account.
“The building of the fence will take two full days to complete starting on Sunday 15th July to Monday 16th July. “During the build, access through the park will not be restricted with pathways remaining open until the park closes at dusk on Friday 20th July.
“All park activities such as tennis, rugby, BMX and cricket will also not be disrupted during this time.
“During the build, there will be certain areas of the park that will be cordoned off to deem it a safe construction area for large infrastructure such as marquees and stages.
“The only time period that the show site will be closed off to the public is from 7:30am – 12 noon on Saturday and Sunday.
“The public can then enter the event site free of charge from this time if they wish to attend the event, but only through the two designated entrances.
“All public pathways will be open through the park from 7:30am on Monday 23rd July with zones cordons in construction areas as and when required.
“Overall the occupation of the park for the event is no longer than in previous years lasting from Sunday 15th July through to Thursday 26th July. “There will be a full post-event evaluation. “The whole events strategy will also be reviewed in September.”