The base of the Crystal Palace’s southern water tower has been ‘listed’ by Historic England following a proposal from Crystal Palace Foundation chairman Melvyn Harrison
Subsequently he, and Foundation vice chairman Ken Lewington, walked the area with Historic England representatives. It has
since been determined that the base of the tower (including attached low brick walls, bricklined trenches and pipework), which is adjacent to the Crystal Palace Museum on An erley Hill should be listed Grade II; the date of the listing being 10th July.
The tower itself was built for the Crystal Palace Company by Fox, Henderson and Company to designs by Isambard Kingdom
Brunel between 1854 and 1856, and was demolished in 1940-1941. Considerable detail can be found at: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1469984
Activities that took place there included tuition at the Crystal Palace School of Engineering (opened in 1872, the first three floors were fitted out as lecture room, drawing office and workshops*) and John Logie Baird’s pioneering television transmissions in the 1930s.**
(The northern water tower base is alongside the remains of the marine aquarium.)
The English Heritage representatives were also introduced to the cast-iron column on the Museum terrace, which was re-erected here from the relocated Great Exhibition building of 1851. As a result, the column is also listed Grade II – please see: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/listentry/1470528
*The Crystal Palace School of Engineering, by J P Craddock, was published in 2018 by the Crystal Palace Foundation. A4 paperback, 86 pages, 17 photographs, 2 plans. This is the only work to set out a complete history of the School of Engineering; it is available via the Crystal Palace Foundation website – £9.99.
From: PRACTICAL ENGINEERING AT THE CRYSTAL PALACE, in The Engineer, January 3, 1873 – A time-keeper’s box faces the entrance, and all the students are required to see their names registered as they enter. If they are a quarter of an hour behind time, they find the doors locked, and have to ring a bell; on being admitted they can only obtain access to the shops by passing through the chief office, where they are required to account for being late.
**John Logie Baird: a life, by Anthony Kamm and Dr Malcolm Baird, National Museums of Scotland, 2002. 466 pages, hardback, 60 illustrations. £25. See Foundation website.